There are 3 words that, when embraced and held close, will greatly help you to be more content with you present situation and also help to propel you forward towards your goals. They are balance, adaptability and love.
Every aspect of our life needs to be properly balanced, whether it be exercise, sleeping, or playing computer games. Once you start thinking in terms of balance, you can start taking steps to have a better balance in all you do and you will very quickly start seeing good results.
When you demonstrate balance in all you do, you will be a lot happier, healthier and even wealthier. I don’t mean necessarily a 50/50 balance, but the right balance for you, which might be different from the person next to you. There are many areas of your life that requires the right balance and it is up to you to personally discover what that is and then to put it into practice.
One area that pops up a lot is work/life balance. Simply put, the work side of your life is what you do to make money to live on, or to enhance your career. The “life” side is everything else; it’s time for yourself, down time, fun time, time with family. It’s time to enjoy whatever it is that gives you pleasure. For many, it can be a real challenge to not let work take over your life. You need to work for survival, but too much work can cause all kinds of problems. Working too much can cause relationship problems. It can cause problems with too much stress. It can cause health problems if you don’t get enough sleep or if you are too busy to eat properly.
Many of us need to watch our diets and it can be a good thing to take steps to cut down on certain foods. But dieting can be overdone and cause worse problems than before we started! So a healthy balance when we diet, or even how we eat in general is mandatory in order to experience good health. Many diet experts suggest following the 80/20 rule of balance: diet carefully for 80% of the time and then relax and eat what you want for the remaining 20% of the time. Of course, you still need to be reasonable in the 20% time zone—you just don’t need to be so careful and strict. This helps relieve diet stress and helps you to do a better job when you are doing the diet.
Start today thinking about what areas of your life could be better balanced and see what you can do to take the needed steps.